If you don’t fancy the tedious work of making Vietnamese spring rolls, here’s a similar dish sans the cumbersome rice wrapper: Thai Shrimp and Herb Salad. You will need most of the same ingredients such as glass noodles (a.k.a. vermicelli, mung bean, cellophane, bean thread noodles), medium or large shrimps, cilantro, and basil. I have been using this recipe for years, and it tasted best with grilled shrimps.
This recipe was published by Jill Dupleix thru Reader’s Digest, but it’s not there anymore – so I’m glad I kept a hard copy. Be sure to look up “Jill Dupleix recipe” as she has many interesting recipes published in different sites.
- 200g bean thread noodles
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered (or regular tomatoes)
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 3 small red shallots, finely sliced
- 8 cooked prawns, peeled (medium prawns or large shrimps)
- Handful of fresh mint, cilantro, basil
- 2 tbsp. peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime quartered
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar